United States Steel Utility Technician (New Hire) in Gary, Indiana
9618BRJob Description:Job Description: The Utility Technician job is a core component for our workforce as one the of world’s largest steel producers. The Utility Technician operates equipment and performs tasks that support the various production and service units. As an Utility Technician you will perform general labor duties that include the use of torches, shovels and other hand tools. You will also operate some mobile equipment in a heavy industrial environment and must be capable of operating an EOT Crane.. The Utility Technician also supports and assists in maintenance of plant equipment.
• Must pass a written assessment test.
• 1 year of manufacturing/industrial experience or equivalent.
• High School Diploma or GED.
• The position requires rotating 8 hour shift work, which will include Saturdays, Sundays, and holidays.
• The position requires overtime work as needed.
• Adherence to safety procedures/guidelines at all times. Safety is our core value which requires you to wear safety protection such as hard hats, safety glasses, hearing protection, protective clothing, boots with metatarsal protection, and when necessary respirator equipment.
• The position requires punctuality, consistent attendance and self direction for the success of the operations.
• Performs tasks that support various producing units using basic hand tools, pneumatic equipment, gauges, oxygen lances, power actuated tools, and torches.
• Handles, transports, and processes product and materials
• Work with and around materials that may be hot, heavy or sharp, and hazardous chemicals.
• Ability to perform manual labor and lift in excess of 25 lbs.
• Assists in inspecting and performing maintenance on equipment.
• Work in various areas of the mill is required. Dependent upon the area, environmental conditions can be hot, cold, dirty, greasy, wet, and noisy.
• You may be required to work in close proximity to molten metal.
• Operation of material handling equipment such as overhead and mobile cranes of various sizes and types, tractors, trucks, dozers, loaders, boom trucks, and feeders.Auto req ID:9618BRCountry:United StatesRequisition Type:US-WagePosting Title:Utility Technician - Gary SheetState/Province:US - INWork Location - City:Gary Company Overview:Steel is essential to advancing modern society. In fact, countless aspects of our lives wouldn’t be possible without it. From state-of-the-art household appliances and safer, more fuel-efficient automobiles — to steel framing that makes our homes stronger and tubular products that support the development of our nation’s energy resources — our products build quality of life for people around the world. U. S. Steel is on an exciting transformational journey to become the iconic corporation — a company set apart from the competition through the talent of our people, the quality of our product, and the strength of our performance. We are seeking talented, motivated people to help us create the next generation of U. S. Steel, known for consistently out-performing the competition, delivering superior returns, and creating value for our customers as a world-class supplier of innovative steel products and solutions.Competency Summary:As an individual contributor, qualified candidates for this role also must demonstrate the ability to champion change and effective communication while contributing to team success.Equal Employment Opportunity:U. S. Steel is a principled company committed to its core values of safety, diversity & inclusion, environmental stewardship, results focus & accountability. We focus on our customers, driving quality and ensuring cost effectiveness. We promote an environment of respect, transparency and collaboration – encouraging new ideas that drive innovation and our collective success. U. S. Steel is an Equal Opportunity Employer. It is our policy to provide equal employment opportunity (EEO) according to job qualifications without discrimination on the basis of race, color, religion, ancestry, national origin, age, genetics, sexual orientation, sex, gender identity, disability status or status as a protected Veteran or any other legally protected group status.