RailWorks Bridge Laborer in Columbus, Indiana
REQUISITION NUMBER: 20170831-54001-003
HOME COMPANY: Track Systems - West
COMPANY LOCATION: Track Systems - Chehalis, WA
JOB LOCATION: Columbus, IN
Performs a variety of tasks involving physical labor at railroad construction sites, utilizing hand and power tools and other equipment. This position will be primarily performing work on jobs occurring throughout the United States and extensive travel should be expected.
Primary/Essential Responsibilities and Duties:
• Cleans and prepares railroad construction sites to eliminate possible hazards.
• Reads and interprets plans, instructions, and specifications to determine work activities.
• Digs ditches or trenches, backfills excavations, and compacts and levels earth to grade specifications, using picks, shovels, pneumatic tampers, and rakes.
• Positions, joins, align, and seals structural components.
• Measures, marks, and records openings and distances to lay out areas where construction work will be performed.
• Signals equipment operators to facilitate alignment, movement, and adjustment of machinery, equipment, and materials.
• Loads, unloads, and identifies building materials, machinery, and tools, and distributes them to the appropriate locations, according to project plans and specifications. Work on wood railroads bridges, post piles, replace stringers, replace caps, surface a bridge, replace ties & guard timbers and replace headwalls and willing to work on bridges above & off the ground.
• Follows company and industry safety rules, practices and procedures.
General/Other Responsibilities and Duties
• Erects and disassembles scaffolding, shoring braces, traffic barricades, ramps, and other temporary structures.
• Controls traffic passing near, in, and around work zones.
• A minimum of 1-2 years of relevant railroad construction experience.
• Familiarity with materials and methods used in construction.
• Experience with machines and tools used in construction, including their designs, uses, repair and maintenance.
• Ability to read and understand instructions and work specifications.
• Ability to understand and follow safety rules, policies, procedures and regulations.
• Ability to work as a team, to jointly carry out assigned tasks.
• Significant travel, 50%+
• MUST be able to pass background check to obtain an ERAIL SAFE CARD
• Must have a Driver's License
• Works outdoors at railroad construction sites.
• Performs physical activities that require considerable use of the arms and legs and moving the whole body, such as standing, climbing, lifting, balancing, walking, stooping, bending and handling of materials, equipment and tools.
• Uses hands and fingers to grasp, manipulate, and/or assemble objects and tools.
• Lifts, pushes, pulls, and carries heavy objects, machinery and tools up to 100 pounds.
• Exposed to harsh weather conditions including very hot and very cold weather.
• Exposed to loud noise. • May be exposed to live track/trains and high voltage.
• Must wear appropriate safety equipment, such as safety glasses, safety boots, hard hats, and hearing protection, as required by the company.
This job description is not intended to represent a complete, comprehensive list of all duties and responsibilities that may be required in this position. There may be unplanned activities and other duties as assigned.
RailWorks is an Equal Opportunity Employer (Minorities/Females/ Veterans/Disabled.
Railworks Corporation is an Equal Opportunity Employer (Minorities, Females, Veterans, Disabled)